12.03.2011

#HBBC, Week 2 Recap

Did you notice the button over in my right sidebar? I kind of threw it up there without any explanation, but I joined up with the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge 2011. I'm new to it this year and signed-up a little late, so I don't qualify for any of the fun final prizes. Still, I thought it would be a good way to challenge myself through the holiday season.

Here's how I can earn points each week:

1 Point per mile (run/walk)
1 Point per 3 miles biked
1 Point per 20 minutes of weight lifting, Pilates, yoga, stretching or abs
1 Point per 15 minutes of low impact cardio (i.e. low impact aerobics, easy biking, skiing, skating, water aerobics, snow shoeing)
1 Point per 10 minutes of high impact cardio (i.e.spinning, kickboxing, lap swimming)
1 Per day where you reach a minimum of 7 servings of fruits and veggies (here are details on what is a serving)

I'd like to do a brief recap here each week. Since I missed week 1, here's a recap from both weeks.

Week 1

11/19: 0 points
  • Studied all day for MTLE on Monday morning
11/20: 0 points
  • Same as Saturday
11/21: 5 points
  • Weights - 20 min
  • Elliptical/Stairmaster - 30min
11/22: 0 points
  • No real good reason. :(
11/23: 1.1 points
  • Walked 1.1 mile
11/24: 4 points
  • Walked 1 mile - had to pick up / drop off the car
  • Turkey Day 5K - ran with a friend from high school. So. Much. Fun! (and crazy crowded)
11/25: 2 points
  • Ran 2 miles
Week 1 Total: 12.1
Challenge Total: 12.1

Week 2
11/26: 0 points
  • Skipped my run. Went to a wine tasting with my stepmom, sister, and brother's girlfriend. Well worth it. :)
11/27: 7.25 points
  • Ran 7.25 miles - Very pleasant run spent listening to the radio. Quite enjoyable, in fact.
11/28: 0 points
  • I can't even remember what happened this day.
11/29: 3.9 points
  • Ran 3.9 miles of hills on the treadmill. Was very tough!
11/30: 2.1 points
  • Ran 2.1 miles outside. The weather has been so pleasant!
12/1: 2 points
  • Cycled for 30 min. Slowly. While attempting to read. Not very successfully.
12/3: 4 points
  • Ran 4 miles on the treadmill. Attempted speedwork.
Week 2 Total: 19.25
Challenge Total: 34.35

Where I'm really falling short is the fruits/veggies part of the challenge. I really struggle to eat nutritiously. Hopefully this will improve once school is finished, but right now it would be a real challenge for me to even eat 3 servings a day, let alone 7. That seems like an incredible amount to me.

What tips do you have for incorporating fruits/vegs into your diet? How are you battling the heaviest eating season of the year?


2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job with the challenge! I also struggle with getting in 7 fruits and veggies on a daily basis. I pretty much always get 4-5 servings, but for some reason that extra 2-3 is really difficult this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool challenge. I like how it's set up with points.

    As for fruits and veggies - smoothies are my friend. I use 1/2 banana, chard or spinach (lots), chunks of zucchini, 1/4-1/2 an avacado, a couple slices of frozen peach and 3/4 cup (about) frozen berries. I also add vanilla protein powder and a little stevia, though you could also use honey for sweetener. I use a splash of juice and the rest of the liquid just water. (no yogurt, as I find it's unnecessary and extra calories) I PROMISE you can't taste the greens or the avacado once the protein powder and stevia is in there. And avacado, suprisingly, just makes it really creamy. (I actually toss in grated carrots and other veggies, but those can get kind of texture-y for someone not used to veggies in their smoothies)

    Anyway, I feel like I get at least a couple servings of veggies and fruit, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment. I try to respond to each one, so why not subscribe, too? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails