Yesterday's run kicked my a$$! It was a perfect example of not knowing my limits. It's all fine to push yourself but you still need to listen to your body and know what you can handle.
I attempted to do this workout.
I honestly don't know what I was thinking. My average pace is 6.0 mph on a good day. I've pushed myself on the treadmill before by going to a 8.5 mph for short stints. That speed nearly killed me.
So like I mentioned, this HIIT Treadmill workout really needed to be modified for my level. It went something like...
MILE 0.50: Thought I was going to DIE!
MILE 0.75: Decided I definitely needed to modify this workout.
MILE 1.00: Changed the plan to intervals of 1 min @ 6.3 mph and 30 sec @ 9.1 mph
MILE 1.10: Paused the treadmill for a breather. After 30 seconds was back up to the above interval plan.
MILE 1.25: Getting much more difficult to breath. Paused the treadmill again for 30 seconds. Lowered the higher speed down to 9.0 mph.
MILE 1.45: Couldn't take any more. Decided to take a walk break instead of just pausing the treadmill. Slowed down to a 4.0 mph.
MILE 1.75: Feeling a little better. Sped up to 5.0 mph. Decided to change this to a 3 mile run instead of 5. I know this workout plan was only for 4, but I'd intended to add an additional mile at 6.0 mph to the end.
MILE 2.00: Sped up to 6.0 mph. Yeah, I can do one mile at 6.0 mph, right?
MILE 2.90: I've almost gone 3 miles! Why not make it a full 3.1 and do it for the Cupcake Classic?
MILE 3.05: Sped up to 6.5 mph. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!
MILES 3.10: IT'S O-V-E-R!!!
And now for a little fun. :-D
I saw this little survey going around Fitness Friday last week. I'm a little late to the party - but thought it would be fun to still play along.
1. Fuel: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other? I'm kind of a cheapskate, so I've don't usually use a lot of fun. I have enjoyed Shot Bloks in the past. GU is usually too difficult for me to open with my sweaty hands. Most recently, I've enjoyed using gummy bears for fuel. Yum!
2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other? My favorite lengths are probably 5Ks and 1/2 Marathons. 10Ks are okay depending on the course. One day I hope to run my 3rd marathon. Maybe. Ultra? Probably not.
3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other? I prefer shorts or skirts. Pants when it's cold. :-)
4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, water or other? Water. Again, I'm a cheapskate!
5. Running Temperatures: HEAT or COLD? Um...? Something in between? IF I have to choose, though, I'd go with HEAT. Cold requires wearing too many clothes. Plus, living in Vegas, the humidity is relatively low to where I don't die in the heat. Sweet. ;-)
6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics or Other? I think I have Nikes right now, but I've never been loyal to a particular brand.
7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other? I haven't raced in FOREVER! Perhaps a PB banana roll-up.
8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x or more per week, never ever ever or Other? Depending on the week and how I'm feeling 1-3 rest days per week.
9. Music: Have to have it or go without it? I can do either. Depends on my mood and how aware I want to be to my surrounding. If I'm on the treadmill, though, I generally need music much more than if I were outside.
10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or other? BRAGGING RIGHTS!
This post is LONG! Sorry about that. Congrats for making it through. I have just a bit more fitness news.
Tomorrow and Sunday, I'll be attending Inspiration and Perspiration 2012. I won tickets to this workshop/conference by writing this post. I've been anxiously awaiting this weekend for a LONG time! I can hardly believe I'll be meeting so many amazing women tomorrow!!
Stay tuned to Instagram and Twitter for updates throughout the weekend. I'm sure it will be tons of fun and very informative.
Plus lots of goodies! Gotta love free stuff!!
What are your fitness plans this weekend?
Click the picture below to see who else is celebrating Fitness today.