3.30.2012

Hunger Games

This afternoon, Jeff and I had to make a trip downtown, so we decided to hit up a movie as well.

I'd heard such raving comments about Hunger Games, and Jeff really wanted to see it, so we found a time that would work for us.


In case you're somehow unfamiliar with this movie / book series, go here to watch the trailer.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

I have not read the books - though I've heard great things about them.
However, even after seeing the trailer, I only wanted to see the movie because so many people on FB and in the blogosphere seemed so pumped to see it.

So we went.

I wasn't really on-board with the whole premise of the movie - requiring kids to fight to the death. I'm not saying it's an unbelievable premise or even one that hasn't been similarly seen in history, but it's just not something I'm interested in watching a movie about.

Just the thought of certain members of a society living in such opulence and lording that over others makes me disgusted. I know this is nothing new. I know it's been common throughout history. I know it happens today.  I just don't like it and therefore don't want to watch a movie that in many ways seems to glorify it.

Still, I tried to go into the movie with an open mind. I really did.

But, I was overly unimpressed with the movie.

I thought it was incredibly slow at the beginning. And yet, there were many details that were left out that could have helped to explain certain things a lot better. Overall, I think many things could have been developed a lot better.

Honestly, I could go on and on about everything I disliked about this movie. I especially have issues with the ending, but since I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't yet seen it, I won't go into any details in this post.

I'll just leave it at this - This is one movie that did not make me want to read the books.

Have you seen this movie yet? If so, did you like it? If not, are you planning on seeing it?
If you've read the books and seen the movie, did the movie live up to the reputation of the books?

4 comments:

  1. We haven't seen it yet - waiting until we can get a babysitter and go together - but we have both read the books. Devoured them is probably more accurate. The books were amazing. Disturbing, yes of course. But "can't put down" and "gotta read the next one NOW" good. I wonder if you would enjoy the movie more if you had read the books...because it definitely is disturbing subject matter, but generally speaking - with books, you are able to get more inside the minds of the characters and understand a little better where they are coming from?? Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. Sucks sitting through a whole (expensive) movie that you don't enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I imagine that reading the books would allow me to get into the minds of the characters better. Still, I think that this movie could have done that as well - if they had done it a lot better. Once you get that babysitter and see the movie, I hope to hear how you liked the movie.

      Luckily for us, we had a couple of free movie passes, so at least we hadn't spent money on the movie. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen it, and to be honest, I have no desire. Both because I haven't read the books and I can't really get on board with the premise either! I'm actually relieved to hear someone else voice that opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment. I try to respond to each one, so why not subscribe, too? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails