11.28.2012

Not cool, body. Not cool.

Warning: If you're a male reader, you might want to skip this post.

I got my period on Monday. I knew it was coming because for the week or so prior my boobs felt like heavy bricks every time I'd unleash them from their sheath my bra. Once that painful heaviness sets in, I know the time is nearish. Sometimes it's a couple of weeks; sometimes it's a couple of days.

It's only in the past few years that I've starting experienced this.
And cramps.

I used to always feel so lucky not really ever having to deal with the pains of being a woman. My periods would come and go, and while I've always hated them, they would never cause me to DOUBLE OVER IN PAINFUL CRAMPS.

But, as I've gotten older, I've started to get ...
... the aforementioned painful boobs
... increased acne
... heavier flows
... painful cramps
Sometimes I joke with my husband about how I'm looking forward to menopause because it can't get much worse. He always assures me that it can. And probably will. Thanks, honey, you always know what to say.

So, last night, I awoke around 2 a.m. Now, it's not too unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night, but lately, I've had a lot of trouble getting back to sleep.

But last night, in addition to the INSOMNIA, I had PAINFUL GUT-WRENCHING CRAMPS.

I took some Midol, but I just couldn't fall asleep.
Then, my body decided that since I was having such fun with my cramps, why not add a bit of gas to the equation.

NOT COOL, BODY. NOT COOL AT ALL.

I may have dozed a little here and there, but basically I've been awake since roughly 2 a.m.

On my way into work, I stopped at Walgreens because well, I need some supplies. I prefer the non-applicator kind because they seem a bit more comfortable to me, and I like the small size, so I can just slip them into my pocket.

As I was browsing this section I don't know why I browse since I always get the same thing, I saw these non-applicator ones.


At first I thought, Those are kind of neat. They come in a cute little tin.
Then, Who would spend $6.99 for 16 when you could spend $7.49 for 40? That's a lot of money for a cute little tin.

I also contemplated these.
I like the idea of using cups - disposable or reusable. Less waste and all that, but I used to have a DivaCup, and I was less than impressed with its, um, performance.

I hate spending money on something I'm not sure will work for me, and I'm also all about cheap, so I opted for the Walgreens brand non-applicator tampons. Exactly what I went to Walgreens with the intention of buying.

Have you ever tried any alternative supplies? 
Do you find yourself dreading this time more as you get older or is it just me?

29 comments:

  1. How old are you? I absolutely am living for never having my period again. Yet, it does not seem to go away. It is like clockwork, though, so I should be happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki, I'm only 35, so I figure I probably still have a while to go. :( I've never been like clockwork - sometimes I'm grateful for this, and sometimes it only adds to the madness.

      Delete
  2. I'm all over this one! I have endometriosis and have dealt with SEVERE cramps since the onset of receiving my period back in 7th grade. Have always dealt with the painful boobs. Heck, they're always painful due to fibrosis, but even more when I'm on my period. I tried the diva cup and although the suction was there it seemed too large for me (rubbed on the outside of my undies even though it was all the way in). I've heard people rave about the softcup but have never tried it. I'm all about more natural options but like you, have a hard time dishing out hard earned cash for items such as this. I've since gone back to my good ol' kotex but I'm still in search of a better alternative for the earth and me. And how apropos, immediately before reading this I went to bathroom and guess who arrived. Aunt Flow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Heidi, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine having to deal with all that. For me, there was just some minor leakage with the Diva Cup - just enough to be super annoying.

      Delete
  3. Well in the interest of no male readers and full female disclosure....I LOVE softcups!! I was really grossed out by the idea of them...but they work really well for me. I still wear a thin pad underneath in case of accidents but I especially like them overnight. I tend to flow REALLY heavy the first two nights, through my super plus tampon and soak through my pad...and everything else. Nothing irritates me anymore than to have to change my sheets because I'M the one who had an accident!! It was enough to make me try them. Also HATE sore boobs... My periods too are much worse now than they were a decade ago....... I shudder to think what menopause will bring. Currently I'm trying to come to terms with premature hair loss. I now have less hair than my 60 year old mother and it makes me so very very sad....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all grossed about them, so maybe I'll give them a try some day.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started mine 2 days before we left for Hawaii. I hate having my period, and my cramps get worse as I get older. Ugh!! I stick with the same thing and never try new things. hope you get some sleep tonight. By the way Midol has caffeine in it, may explain the insomnia a bit. Love me some Midol!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caffeine doesn't normally keep me up; it was mostly just the pain/gas that was doing it. I still woke up a lot last night, but fell back asleep fairly easily.

      Delete
  6. Ibuprofen is my friend...and OB brand tampons. Less garbage, but they work great. It also helps that I take BCPs. Way less flow and cramps. Also, I made a cloth bag, filled it with rice, and sewed it shut. I microwave it for a few minutes and hold it over my lower abdomen when I do get cramps. It feels so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love OB brand, but this time I saved $$ by getting the Walgreens version. Seems just as good. :)

      Delete
  7. Midol has caffeine, so it'll keep you up. my periods have always been bad, and seemed to get worse every month. I finally went on birth control to regulate, but that made me crazy. I had some luck with the Nuva Ring, but I'm now on an IUD, so I don't get my period at all. It's been a saving grace from the cramps, heavy flow for days on end, fast cycles, mood swings, and countless other fun factors. I too am looking forward to menopause! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever been told not to look down? Don't touch? First reaction is to look and touch right? DAMN! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had so many issues, but with the other end of the spectrum! Since I came off of BCPills I haven't ovulated at all. It's been almost 6 months. Basically my body has stopped doing anything, so at least you know your body works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean that I know my body works. It is possible to bleed without ovulating.

      Delete
  10. Hi! Thanks for stopping by earlier - I love reading new blogs. I'll be subscribing! (hope I did it right).

    sorry to hear about the pain. I go through it monthly. Exercise HAS helped decrease the cramps, but every month, no fail..it weighs me down physically so much. Don't even get me started on the mood swings!

    Hope you feel a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pretty much moved on from cramps to mood swings now. :) Yay!

      Delete
  11. Haha! I get the same thing with my boobs. It's actually my #1 TOM predictor. I'm not going to complain about having a period as I've gone through an amenorrhea scare nor does mine hurt. To be honest I've never tried anything other then Always pads. They do the job for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahh i have the 4 exact same symptoms, more as of just lately too! boo :( hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm was already feeling better by the very next day. :)

      Delete
  13. Periods suck!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, yes, you just described my life. Increasing physical symptoms that I never used to have. I'll share some good news - after getting worse, it seems to now be getting better. In addition, I only have one heavy day then really light for the next 4-5 days. Really light. I recommend a heat pad for the cramps (in addition to a butt load of ibuprofen). I like the microwavable kind, but a heating pad works too. The bad news is that my GYN said some of my symptoms (including the insomnia) could be a preview of menopause. Excuse me? I don't care, I still look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are we not related? :) Glad to hear that things will maybe start to get better in about ten years. LOL.

      Delete
  15. I've always wanted to try the cups, but yikes, an investment for something that seems really hit-or-miss in terms of what users have experienced. I typically only get the really uncomfortable ones a few times a year, but then--Girl's best friend? Electric heating pad. Mmm, warm relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like heating pads are definitely the way to go. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment. I try to respond to each one, so why not subscribe, too? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails