3.07.2012

Readers v. Comments

Since I couldn't really come up with my own topic this morning, but wanted to get something out before heading to school, I decided, for the first time, to go with today's NaBloPoMo Writing Prompt:

Would you rather have more blog readers or more blog comments?


Ooh. This is a tough one. 

At first, I'm really inclined to say comments, because I love the interaction that comes with comments and have made some bloggy friends because of reciprocal comments.

But, when I really think about it, readers are a little more important to me. Just knowing that my blog is out there and getting read is very satisfying, and without readers, there would be no comments, right?

Then, again, I rarely check my stats, mostly because my readership is quite low and I sometimes I find that depressing.

I guess that brings me back to comments. Those truly make me smile! Even if I only got one comment on every post, I would be elated.

Of course, I'm not always the best at leaving comments, so I suppose I shouldn't expect that from my readers, either. Sometimes I'm just too busy or I'm reading the post days weeks after it was published or I don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been said.

I am definitely more inclined to leave a comment on a post that has less than 10 or so comments than one that has more than that.

Ok, ok. IF I have to choose, I choose comments! :)


Since I'm not a stats checker, comments let me know someone is reading enjoying what I have to say.

Which do you prefer - more blog readers or more blog comments?

10 comments:

  1. I think I like readers better...but of course I love comments. That sort of validates that they are actually reading my blog. The stats are what companies look for when they are looking to have you do a review or join a team etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a larger reader base, I'd probably care more about the readers - especially if it meant opportunities for reviews, teams, etc. Right now, I'm just happy to get a handful of comments. :)

      Delete
  2. I like comments better, too. Except for when they're mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not really received any mean comments. *knock on wood*
      And hopefully, it will stay that way. I'd probably be pretty crushed.

      Delete
  3. I don't really pay attention to stats because I don't think they really capture the full picture. The comments, to me, indicate who you are reaching and who is reading. People who say they always read but never comment always sound so sketchy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Except sometimes I am that sketchy person... but not too often. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Comments are the best - I love interacting with people on a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interaction is half the fun of blogging, imo, of course.

      Delete
  5. I think readers, but who doesn't love comments and interaction? Hmmm, hard choice :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment. I try to respond to each one, so why not subscribe, too? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails